About the Program
Our goal is to give you a real sense of what it’s like to work at Jane Street full time. Over the course of your internship, you will explore ways to approach and solve exciting problems within your field of interest through fun and challenging classes, interactive sessions, and group discussions—and then you will have the chance to put those lessons to practical use.
As an intern, you are paired with full-time employees who act as mentors, collaborating with you on real-world projects we actually need done. When you’re not working on your project, you will have plenty of time to use our office amenities, physical and virtual educational resources, attend guest speakers and social events, and engage with the parts of our work that excite you the most.
If you’ve never thought about a career in finance, you’re in good company. Many of us were in the same position before working here. If you have a curious mind, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for solving interesting problems, we have a feeling you’ll fit right in.
About the Position
As a Linux Engineering intern, you’ll work side by side with full-timers to learn how we maintain and improve the critical infrastructure underlying our firm’s technology, including our production trading systems. On any given day, we might be debugging kernel performance, developing management tools, or resolving production issues in real time. Our mix of in-house and open source software allows us to investigate and innovate at every level.
During the program you’ll work on two projects, mentored closely by the full-time employees who designed them. Some projects consider big-picture questions that we’re still trying to figure out, while others involve building something new. Your mentors will be drawn from two different areas, so you’ll gain a better understanding of the wide range of problems we solve every day—from finding new and interesting ways to resolve production issues quickly, perform comprehensive root-cause analyses, and integrate long-term fixes in a clean and robust way.
You’ll have a unique opportunity to see how our team interacts with almost every other group, building solutions that work on a firm-wide scale. We automate as much of our work as we can, because we find that automation reduces our error rate and overall workload—plus, we think it's fun.
We don’t expect you to have a background in one specific field—we’re looking for smart people who enjoy solving interesting problems. We’re more interested in how you think and learn than what you currently know. You should be:
- Knowledgeable of operating system fundamentals and computer architecture
- Able to understand network protocols at a basic level
- Someone who solves problems by writing code (in any language)
- Intellectually curious, collaborative, and eager to learn
- Humble and unafraid to ask questions and admit mistakes
- A strong communicator
- As comfortable at the command-line of a *nix machine as you are in a GUI
- Experienced with systems programming concepts like C, sockets, virtual memory, and the process life cycle
- Experienced with a modern *nix system, whether that’s from course work, time spent as a systems administrator for your campus computer lab, side projects, etc.
- Fluent in English
- Job type:Internships
- Disciplines:Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics, Science
- Work rights:Hong Kong Permanent Resident, Hong...
- Locations:Hong Kong (Hong...
- Closing Date:20th Oct 2022, 12:59 pm