The 24-month Museum Trainee Programme of the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) aims at nurturing museum professionals for Hong Kong. Successful applicants will receive on-the-job training in museum management under professional guidance.
Salary: HK$15,325 per month (fixed throughout the contract period)
Rest days, statutory holidays (or substituted holidays), annual leave, maternity / paternity leave, sickness allowance, where appropriate, will be granted in line with the provisions of the Employment Ordinance.
What you will do
Successful applicants will be trained at designated museums or offices of the LCSD in venue management, collection management and organisation of different kinds of programmes (such as exhibitions and education programmes).
(Note : Successful applicants are normally required to work 44 hours per week. They may have to work irregular hours, on weekends and/or public holidays.)
Required Skills and Abilities
Bachelor’s degree from a university in Hong Kong, or equivalent, majoring in a relevant subject of:
- Art Stream [see Note (1)]: Fine Arts, Visual Arts, Art History, Art Education, Design, Creative Media, Museum Studies, Curatorship, or equivalent [see Note (2)]
- History Stream [see Note (1)]: History, Archaeology, Anthropology, Ethnography, Humanities, Museum Studies, Curatorship, Cultural Studies, Cultural Management, or equivalent [see Note (2)]
Meet the language proficiency requirements of ‘Level 2’ results in the two language papers [Use of Chinese (UC) and Use of English (UE)] in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE), or equivalent [see Notes (5) and (6)].
- Applicants are required to indicate the stream applied for in the “Title of job applied for” on the application form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)]. Failing to indicate the stream applied for may render the application unsuccessful.
- Applicants should state clearly in their applications the major(s) of their bachelor degrees. Failing to indicate such information will render the application unsuccessful.
- All qualification required should be obtained on or before the application deadline. Qualifications obtained after the application deadline will not be considered.
- Applicants who are invited for selection interview will be required to produce the original copies of the official transcripts, certificates and the results in the CRE for verification and photocopies for record purposes. The application will be deemed unsuccessful if any applicant fails to produce the original copies of the required document for verification.
- Level 5 or above in Chinese Language of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSEE); or Grade C or above in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE), are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2’ in the UC paper of the CRE. Level 5 or above in English Language of the HKDSEE; or Grade C or above in Use of English of the HKALE; or Grade C or above in English Language of the General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) (GCE A Level), are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2’ in the UE paper of the CRE.
- Applicants with an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtest score below band 6 obtained in the same sitting in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the two-year validity period of the test result are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2’ in the UE paper of the CRE. The IELTS test result must be valid on any date during the application period.
- Serving and former –
- Non-civil Service Contract Trainees of LCSD (inclusive of Arts Administrator Trainees, Museum Trainees, Stage Management Trainees and Public Relations/Arts Marketing Trainees);
- Arts Administrator Trainees of LCSD Venue Partners and the Hong Kong Arts Festival Society; or
- Local interns trained by arts organisations under the Hong Kong Arts Development Council (HKADC)'s Training Schemes (inclusive of the Arts Administration Internship Scheme, the HKADC Arts Administration Internship Scheme and the Arts Production Internship Scheme); will not be considered.
Terms of Appointment:
Successful applicants will be appointed on a non-renewable 24-month contract on Non-civil Service Contract Terms, with salary fixed throughout the contract period. Museum Trainees are subject to the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (Cap. 485).
Enter an employer or university you want to find in our search bar.