The Institutional Equity, Prime Brokerage, Bank Resource Management Industrial Placement Program is aimed at undergraduates who are either required by their degree or are able to complete a longer internship period.
The six-month internship, which is based in Hong Kong and begins in mid - January, offers you the opportunity to learn about a variety of product areas, while providing a clear understanding of how the business operates as a whole. Following an initial period of training and induction, you will be assigned to a particular team where you will spend the remainder of your placement. Interns are treated as full-time members of the team and work alongside experienced professionals at all levels.
You may be placed into a team within the following areas of the business:
Institutional Equity & Prime Brokerage:
- Cash Equities - Morgan Stanley is a global leader in executing transactions in cash equity and equity-related products for institutional clients around the world. These products include common stocks, global depository receipts and exchange-traded funds. Sales teams work closely with Chief Investment Officers, Portfolio Managers, and Traders to deliver meaningful market insight and expertise, facilitating introductions to product experts throughout the Division and Firm to help clients successfully achieve their investment objectives.
- Equity Derivatives - Across global equity derivatives markets, Morgan Stanley is a leading provider of execution services and solutions. Our product suite encompasses equity options, equity swaps, warrants, structured notes and futures on individual securities, indices and baskets of securities. Sales and Trading teams are responsible for helping Institutional clients identify and implement cost-efficient, suitable trading solutions, providing pricing and liquidity, and managing firm risk.
- Prime Brokerage - For more than 30 years, Morgan Stanley has set the standard for excellence in the Prime Brokerage space. Our strong client relationships, market-leading technology and seasoned product experts have positioned us as an industry leader in financing, market access and portfolio management.
Bank Resource Management:
- Equity Securities Lending Trading - Borrow securities from the world's largest lending institutions and assist in lending functions to our hedge fund clients.
- Client Financing Repo Trading - Assist the team in providing liquidity to clients in fixed income products, and analyzing market rates and economic drivers, such as the Fed's Reverse Repo facility.
- Secured Funding - Learn how Morgan Stanley uses Repo and Stock Loan products to finance the Firm. Understand the Firm's secured funding framework and governance and assist traders in executing secured funding trades within this framework.
- BRM Equity and Fixed Income Sales and Marketing - Evaluate client portfolios and perform analysis on business opportunities.
- Clearing and Collateral Strategy & Optimization (CCSO) - Quote/validate initial margin on new OTC trades and analyze historical data to ensure risk is adequately covered.
- Strategy - Learn about current BRM and Firm strategic initiatives and help pursue current strategies. Includes understanding of balance sheet management, risk controls around all of BRM's business units, management of capital and client analytics.
- XVA Trading - Price and manage counterparty credit, funding and collateral risks from new and legacy transactions facing FID counterparties.
The program begins with a one-day orientation where Interns are introduced to the Firm and primary businesses within, as well as to one another at our opening Firmwide networking event. For the remainder of training, Interns will attend divisional-specific events designed to help develop the core skills required for a successful summer.
What You Will Do
- Sales - Work alongside experienced employees to learn how we build our client base and establish and maintain long-term client relationships. Assist with developing and presenting investment ideas and the fundamentals of selling and cross selling the Firm’s products.
- Trading - Develop and execute trading ideas and analysis and support all aspects of the market-making trade execution process, from research analytics on trades to relative value analysis.
- Structuring - Use innovative and solutions-based approach to designing both investment and risk management products across all asset classes.
- Research/Strategy - Analyze market fundamentals and liaise with researchers to develop investment recommendations for internal and external clients.
- Analytics - Provide quantitative and qualitative analytics around client revenue and profitability; work to efficiently manage commission dollars by creating increased transparency around the services that clients value.
Required Skills and Abilities
- You are pursuing an undergraduate Bachelor’s or Master's degree with a graduation date between October 2022 and July 2023.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- You are collaborative, a quick learner, adaptable, versatile, a multi-tasker, enjoy solving problems, and possess a strong work ethic.
- While no prior knowledge of finance or trading is required, must have a keen interest in finance and markets.
- Fluency in English required, and Asian language skills preferred.
- Job type:Internships
Banking and Finance, Marketing and Sales
Hong Kong (Hong...
- Closing Date:26th Sep 2021, 6:00 pm