The US Foods Summer Internship Program provides a forum for students to apply classroom skills and academic training in a real-world business environment. In addition to being assigned business-impacting projects throughout the summer, students will be matched with a manager who will meet with them on a regular basis to provide direction on assignments as well as deliver performance feedback and a mentor who will be available to offer day-to-day guidance and support.
Embracing the organization’s core values, the US Foods Summer Internship Program Mission is to Team Up to build a supportive learning environment where we Talk Straight about performance development by delivering constructive feedback and positive reinforcement to deliver Second To None program experiences to those students who spend their summers with us.
Interns will also get exposure to US Foods executive leadership; have an opportunity to participate in learning and social events with other interns across business functions within our Corporate HQ; and have an opportunity to deliver an end-of-summer presentation to showcase their accomplishments with key business leaders. Dependent upon critical business needs and overall performance during the summer, there may be opportunities for students to continue working as a part-time intern during the school year.
US Foods internships are full-time paid positions (40 hours per week from May - August) with the possibility of transitioning to a full-time position post-graduation dependent on availability and overall performance. The Logistics intern will be responsible for supporting the Logistics Team in analysis, planning, execution, reporting, and follow-up rotations of Logistics programs and initiatives. They will also be working with internal and external stakeholders to coordinate, organize, and follow through on program initiatives.
Intern will be exposed to the US Foods® Logistics Programs, and will learn the strategy, functionality, and execution behind each. Interns will also be exposed to working in a cross-functional environment, understanding how to both balance their workload to meet timelines while remaining aligned with internal teams.
What You Will Do
- Identify logistics income and margin improvement opportunities through data analysis of current managed lanes, along with analyzing current delivered lanes for conversion.
- Drive increased logistics income and margin improvement by conducting freight rate analysis as it relates to published and market freight rates.
- Conduct root cause analysis on current logistics pain points and suggest solution options along with implementation plan and timeline.
- Analyze and suggest improvements in product movement via alternative modes of inbound transportation.
- Assist in the development of procedures to support expansion of unique transportation solutions e.g. cross dock, boxcar rail hub, redistribution facilities, etc.
- Assist building operational blueprints to support optimization of inbound freight consolidation and replenishment patterns using company inbound network programs.
- Identify logistics income margin improvement opportunities through report monitoring and data analysis.
- Drive increased logistics income margin improvement through involvement in key initiatives, recommending solutions, engaging appropriate stakeholders, and tracking progress/results.
- Assist team on inbound product supplier transportation cost benchmarking by evaluating lanes that need rate appreciation and attention to adequately represent true market costs.
- Participate in negotiations process to learn how to approach and resolve freight cost and rate issues where lanes show differences to benchmark or contract data.
- Assist in analysis to provide leverage with category management to influence vendor rate decisions.
- Research and create inbound solutions for national concept proprietary vendors.
- Support the carrier and USF fleet tariff process including; developing carrier rate agreements and managing the database of carrier relationships.
- Support the maintenance of carrier capacity commitments within the transportation management system including creation and maintenance of entities, carriers and routing guides.
- Support experienced team members in conducting performance management for other functions in the form of ongoing results analysis on key metrics such as case conversions, on-time delivery, freight rate trends, carrier rates, unanticipated / one-time costs, receiving patterns, etc.
- Support experienced team members in tracking financial KPIs for Logistics department including Gross Freight Income, Net Freight Income, Managed Case %, etc. Support deep dive analyses into any variance or outlier KPI results through segment or PO level investigations.
- Work directly with the Load Planning Team and Logistics Network Strategy Team to drive freight revenue and income across all divisions.
- Planning and execution of shipments using multiple software systems.
- Analyze financial impact of requests from divisional purchasing, operations, suppliers, and transportation providers related to detention, unloading, and other accessorial charges and makes the decision on whether to approve or deny additional charges.
- Analyze on-time service to divisions; identify issues, provide/implement resolution, track results to completion.
- Assess the effectiveness of load execution and manage the changes required to ensure effective execution of the load.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in Supply Chain, Business Analytics, Operations Management, Finance or a related field.
- Must be enrolled in school during the time of internship.
- Typically, students currently between their first and final years of graduate school will be considered for internships.
- Comfort working in an ambiguous environment.
- Experience with pivot tables.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities.
- Self-starter who is eager to learn and has a drive for results.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- High collaboration and project management skills to work across a broad business base.
- Highly organized with a strong focus on detail and accuracy. Ability to thrive in a complex, high demand, evolving environment, requiring quick responsiveness. Must be able to handle multiple priorities while maintaining focus on the bottom line.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of written and verbal skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment, while also able to work effectively as an individual with minimal supervision.
- Must have regular, reliable method of transportation to commute to US Foods’ location.
- Job type:Internships
Banking and Finance, Business and Commerce,...
United States (United...
- Closing Date:22nd Sep 2019, 6:00 pm